Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Price of Being Nice, Bitches.

What does it really cost a girl to BE NICE?


I told a friend a story and in it I must have said at least three times, that I was trying to be nice, and that, well, that’s just being nice, isn’t it?
And she said, “It’s sad isn’t it?”
“What?”
“That we, as women still feel it’s necessary to Be Nice.”

And that’s how it sounded, like capital letters or self-important titles—I certainly never thought of boys as being NICE and the ones that were, well, they never appealed to me.

My mom said that in her day, girls would say, “He’s a ni-iice boy,” while running their pinky finger across their eyebrow. It was code for: the guy is gay.
Maybe that was when being nice stopped paying off for men.

I think when women try so hard to BE NICE all the time they lose a bit of their identity. They sell themselves short. Though I am not saying you should be a bitch all the time, or tell the absolute, uncouched truth whenever you’re asked your opinion, but… the amount of time and imagination and stress and hemming and hawing and honestly, moral conundrums involved are a bit more than one really needs.
And frankly the whole, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all” thing was probably quoted by some asshole who loved silence.

According to the my best friend in the world, The Almighty Amazon: Nice Girls Don’t get Rich, they don’t get the corner office and they don’t change the world.

So, step up Bitches.
And, if you can't say something nice, come sit by me.*

*paraphrased from some famous writer bitch.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey, wait... I'm a nice boy. Dang it!

Ashley Miller
www.ashleymiller.net

Family Adventure said...

You are so right. As women we try so hard to be nice, sometimes we'd rather lie than tell the truth if it means not being "nice". But because we are not up front about things "in public", we end up being a lot more bitchy in private. Unlike men who for the most part tell it like it is...
Of course, this is all a huge generalization...
First time reading your blog - am enjoying it greatly. Thanks.