Monday, March 10, 2008

Let's Talk about BEDS.

Double Full 54" 75"
Queen Queen 60" 80"
Standard or Eastern King King 76"-78"
(widest)
80"
California King Western King 72" 84" (longest)

Recently, I have been wondering about master bedrooms. One, why they are called, "master?" and two, why do people feel the need to make the bedroom more than a place to sleep? It seems that designers are taking the "let's make this room look like a hotel room "approach and I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a hotel.

I've been looking at friend's new homes and houses online and someday soon will even buy one of those lovely properties and increase my square footage overall and in the bedrom... so what I was wondering was- would it be weird to put 2 full or queen beds in the master bedroom, instead of one huge king-sized one that will cost loads and loads to dress in quality linens?

This is the thing- I love sleeping alone. I sleep best alone. neither my husband nor I snore and there isn't much flailing going on, but when we share the queen bed, both of us love the moment the other vacates and we can sprawl in the center. Would it be so bad to use the "sitting area" of a master suite for the second bed?
Here's how I see it.
You go to bed together, his or mine... and an hour later- or twenty minutes later, someone goes back to their own bed. Everyone gets to choose their linens, their mattress type and their pillow- no one gets bopped in the nose by a wandering elbow, or slammed in the ass by a drawn up knee- and no one had the covers pulled from them in the middle of the night. If I want to read until 2 am, I can and if he wants to hear his music on his headphones, he can.

I think this might be a really good idea. Or am I nuts?

5 comments:

Julie Pippert said...

WAG...master=master of the house

My bedroom is more than a sleeping room because it is the only sanctuary I have. I have a comfy love seat, book shelves, even a TV. I don't care what anyone's rules are; my space is my space.

That said, your space is yours so do with it as you will, as many beds of whatever size you want. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's crazy, but if you didn't have lots of room, you could go with two twins pushed together, which equals a King, but you would be separate from each other. My husband and I recently got a King and I can't tell anymore that we are sharing a bed, he used to wake me all night, but no longer. All that being said it is your bedroom and you can do whatever you want wit it :).

Churlita said...

It sounds perfect. It could be an amazing solution.

Unknown said...

I always seem to jump the trends-- in fashion and home decor-- you wait. I told Everyone 2 years ago the white kitchen was coming back as was the color GREEN-- 2 beds are not far behind!

Victoria said...

LOVE this: "You go to bed together, his or mine... and an hour later- or twenty minutes later, someone goes back to their own bed"

LOL! Twenty minutes. Ha! Ten?

I would totally do separate beds. And also separate rooms. Hubby snores. I like to read late. We are not compatible sleepers...