Thursday, July 31, 2008

Home Sweet Home, if I'm in charge.

There are things you miss when you are away, especially when you leave pets behind. I came home to 2 very happy pooches, a NASA approved bed and an air conditioned house that I could control.
Maybe that's the thing about coming home. Reestablishing your parameters- your reign- your sense of environmental control. The hassle of returning is almost enjoyable knowing you'll have a normal/recognizable re-entry to the "real" world.
AS long as no one has messed with your tidy little space. It can make you a little sick, like you've been robbed by someone who knows you - like the
time I traveled from west coast to east only to have an ex-beau make the reverse trip and rip off my then empty house. Ouch.

Once, in Germany, I had to sleep in an unfinished windowless room on plywood because I missed the last train back to town. I called that an adventure, not a mistake. Maybe I can look at my husband's version of "keeping house" the same way-- in a few days. Or a few months when my beautiful red maple grows back- it will grow back won't it?

Still, I love to travel-- even better if I'm going solo to a place where no one knows me. I can make decisions for me a lot easier, than for 2 or 3 others and I never have to worry about pleasing anyone else. Selfish? yes. But healthy. I can adapt to strange surroundings- like say, a shared dorm room in a college campus or my parents' hard double bed in a too bright traffic facing heated room...when I have to. And I always meet the most magnificent people.

1 comment:

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

It's strange when your own house is strange. When I come back from long trips I'm always having to adjust to things like where the gear shift and turn signals are on my car and the height of the bathroom counter when I wash my face.

I hope you and your tree recover soon.