Thursday, September 18, 2008

Let's talk about cars, instead of stuffy old politics, shall we?


Car and Driver lists the top 10 Most Beautiful cars for 2009. I am not going to argue with their choices, which include the beauty above: 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione. But I do think their quoting of KEATS was a bit much.
“A thing of beauty is a joy forever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.” —John Keats

I used to date a guy who drove an Alfa, also a few guys with Corvettes and Cadillacs, a few Saab owners, one motorcycle enthusiast, another with a classic Mercedes SL450 and one guy switched out new versions of classic Fiats from his Dad's garage, the way I switched out shoes.
There were more cars, I'm sure, as there were more boyfriends. But face it, some you remember better than others. And the fact that I ended up marrying a guy who couldn't care less about his ride... well, that says a shitload about him, doesn't it. And probably something about me if you want to go there.

I love my Audi TT and coming up on her 1 year anniversary, I wouldn't trade her for the world. But as I shop for potential teenager cars, I'm intrigued by what's new, and what our automakers are doing to help with costs all the way around.
I'm still hoping the kid will decide a classic car is the way to go, because a 1963 Jag is SO much prettier than a 2007 Toyota Prius.
Yeah, yeah, I know. Safety. Maintenance. Teenagers. Meh.

2 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Good taste. MEH is right. :)

Churlita said...

You definitely date a different class of guy than I have. My first boyfriend had a 1969 Ford pick-up and the electricity didn't work so we couldn't drive it at night or in the rain.