Monday, January 19, 2009

Andrew Wyeth dies at 91

I have had the pleasure of living near and exploring the same landscape Wyeth painted. I think his work is magical. If only I had a few million bucks...


"Art to me, is seeing. I think you have got to use your eyes, as well as your emotion, and one without the other just doesn't work. That's my art." Andrew Wyeth


I borrowed this from his UK obituary:

The one Wyeth owned by New York's Museum of Modern Art, Christina's World (1948), is the best known American painting of the 20th century. It is perhaps typical of Wyeth's darker side; it shows a crippled woman in her 50s, Christina Olson, dressed in an acid pink dress and crawling through a luminous field towards an 18th century farmhouse on the horizon. The setting is near Cushing, Maine. Christina's World, nearly four foot wide, is tempera on gessoed panel. It was bought for $1,800 and is permanently on view, an incongruous sight in the midst of the avant garde-isms of modern times. "The challenge to me was to do justice to her extraordinary conquest of a life which most people would consider hopeless," Wyeth said. "Limited physically but by no means spiritually."

And of course, underneath is all, there was a love story- though some say it was fabricated as a publicity stunt.
pishaw this is love.

and who doesn't know this famous painting?