Thursday, August 23, 2007

My secret love

I love cars.
If I had a lot of money I'd have a lot of cars.I'm a wannabe car enthusiast.
I wish I knew enough to buy a classic junker, fix it up and enter it in a parade.

As it is, I think someday I will buy the classic junker and pay someone else to fix it up for me. Pimp my dream.
I shop for cars at least once a week online.
I have my favorite (secret) sites, and I have my favorite cars.
The Audi tt,(when it still looked like a bullet), the Porsche Cayman and 911, red and white 1957 Corvette, any older Mercedes 450 SL, the Jaguar XKR- I found a 1960's era Jag online from Colorado not too long ago that had the coolest switches over the windshield, like a cockpit, but the 1959 XK 150 roadsters really melt me.
I love unique, fast cars. I especially love unique writing about fast cars.


Here's a sample from my fav car mag, Winding Road about the Lamborghini MurciƩlago LP640 Roadster. (By Chris Paukert, Issue 18, March 2007)



“Simply put, our retina-flambeing wedge is a parade of one, causing even jaded Californians to exhaust their camera phones’ memory cards. Children crane their necks and bounce effervescently in an effort to get another look. Women in BMW Z4s who otherwise wouldn’t let you hold the door for them nearly hurl their reproductive organs upon the Lambo’s windshield, fawning and mouthing illicit nothings at stoplights as they try to figure out why you’re important enough to warrant such a magnificent automobile."

8 comments:

John said...

I share your passion. If I were able to afford my desires, my garage would be larger than my house is, right now.

Unknown said...

Gimme your top three. And tell me the best car you've ever owned. Mine was a 1970 Pontiac Lemans 350-- or the Acura Integra LS.

John said...

Lets see... the best car I ever owned was a black 1964(and 1/2) Mustang. Unfortunately an old man ran me off the road on my way home from school one afternoon, slamming me into a pine tree and then a telephone pole. So that was that. 2nd best may have been my 2000 Toyota Celica, it was a fun little car.

My top three... that's tough... for one thing I'm a big classic car fan... I've had 3 Mustangs, 64.5, 65 and 65. I'd love to restore another one someday. Lots of other 60s era cars I'd love to have: a Charger, a Chevelle, a Barracuda.

For newer cars, I'd LOVE to have one of these: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105085
I'd also like to have an Infiniti G35 coupe and supe it up, or something like a '93-'02 Toyota Supra, or a Mitsubishi GT-3000. Great cars with tremendous potential. One of these days maybe I'll pick one up as a hobby car.

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

SWEET! I love the muscle cars- but think I need something a little slinkier- or funkier. I am lookin gnow to add a third car here- I started with the idea of an older Miata and fixing it up as I went- found a guy to do interior work- would go see my audio guy, add some cool rims, etc-- but i can't do the whole "lookat me I'm topless" thing-- plus road noise and leakage in a ragtop suck. Then I read about the Audi TT- the racing version- with the lambo engine- uh-huh. but then I drove the caman-s... so, now I want a 2+2 coupe, < 30k miles with 5-6 spd on the floor.. I think only the 911 and the TT have it-- lots of automatics out there- ugh. any ideas?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Lemans pic-- God, that brings back memories. Like the morning I went out to the parking lot to find that someone had STOLEN MY BATTERY! No school that day.

John said...

Hmm. Maybe a Chrysler Crossfire or Pontiac Solstice (same thing). Hardtop convertible. A buddy here at work WON one from Dell (the bastard). He understandably loves it. Hell, I'd love a Kia if someone gave it to me.

Maybe a Nissan 350Z?
http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.aspx?id=10

Or how about a Subaru Impreza WRX?
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/impreza_wrx_sti.asp
Yes, it IS a 4 door, but it's an AWD 4 door that cranks out nearly 300hp. I'll take two.

I love the Audi TT, too.
Also, on the automatics, a lot of sports cars that have automatics have "sport shifting" paddles on the steering wheel so you can shift on the fly as well.