Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I waited a long time to hear my kid say this.

9 year old in her bed this morning, book in hand:
"I wish there was a day where you could just stay in bed and read."

Me: "There is, bunny. It's called Saturday.


This is a huge step for the girl I tried to bribe with shoes to read just ONE book all the way through. She tests in the top of her class in reading skills, so it isn't that she CAN'T do it, it was just her FINALLY finding an author she digs enough to continue reading and reading-- maybe even in bed all day. Man, can I relate.

8 comments:

Churlita said...

My youngest daughter is like that. she won't read, won't read. Then she finds a book she loves and Bam! she devours it in one sitting.

Julie Pippert said...

It's a beautiful thing, isn't it, when that breakthrough comes.

Victoria said...

So sweet. Warms your heart doesn't it?

Family Adventure said...

Which author did the trick?

Heidi

painted maypole said...

i want to know the author, too!

Leanne said...

Yes. Share! Who's the author?

Cassie said...

How great! I can only hope that my son will be a bookworm like me :)

Unknown said...

This is what she's hooked on:
FLIPPED by Wendekin Van Draanen.
I am worried it might be more content than fantastic writing- with the content being prepubescent love...
this is what reviewers say:
This is a classic romantic comedy of errors told in alternating chapters by two fresh, funny new voices. Wendelin Van Draanen is at her best here with a knockout cast of quirky characters and a hilarious series of misunderstandings and missed opportunities. But underlying the humor are two teens in transition. They are each learning to look beyond the surface of people, both figuring out who they are, who they want to be, and who they want to be with.
worth a shot, eh?