Sunday, August 8, 2010

When Googled became a verb...

I wrote about this on my writing blog today, but thoughtI should share here too... because, well. I think you all deserve some wise words, and pretty cool links.
 SO... please allow me to repeat myself:

Today, I Googled the phrase, “Places to Write.”
I had been speaking with my writer friend, Gwen Morrison, a brilliant author, editor and publisher, and my partner in the newest venture: Write by the Water: a writers retreatabout the best place to write in our homes… something most people ask of authors at those Q&A’s after the reading, on the big book tour.
As suburban moms, we have both adapted a room in our house to act as office/writing space. A place where children and dogs come and go as they please, usually leaving us more interrupted than inspired.
I hit up my good friend, Mr. Google to see what he had to say what I typed in PLACES TO WRITE.
The writers at Wicked Writers had a list of 10 places to write.
I got a kick out of this one.
5 – From a Jail Cell: Well, not in reality. Whenever I can’t seem to find peace and quiet anywhere, the loner in me dreams of writing from a jail cell in solitary confinement. No Internet, no planning dinner, no vacuuming, and no teenagers not doing their homework. Ahhhhh :-)
Novelist and Coach Jacqui Lofthouse suggests “going on holiday” is the best way to get any writing done. In other words, get out of your natural element.
She speaks of getaways in  Tuscany and the South of France, dropping uber-attractive nouns; villa, country-home… I like her thinking.
This article reminds me that:
Virginia Woolf famously insisted that in order to write professionally a woman must have “a room of her own.”
Oh, yes. I like that. All you women writers now have a perfectly good reason to overtake the den.
And, yep. Even JK Rowling has something to say on the subject.
THIS IS where I’m going to be writing this fall.
In one of the spacious rooms, on a balcony, under a tree, on the beach, in a kayak…
You can join me…..  it’s easy. CLICK HERE for all the details. I’ll save you a spot on the sand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the mention of our blog! I'm wishing you the most productive writing this fall in the gorgeous house you posted. Enjoy!