Friday, October 5, 2007

Reverse Psychology

It never fails. If I want it to rain, I just have to pay to have my car washed- or purchase a sprinkler system.
The Georgia Drought should have made me feel guilty to order and plan the install of an irrigation system, but I lived in CA during worse drought conditions where we were advised to and later earned kudos from our water department when we took two minute showers and drank bottled water.
SO, what's the difference in me stopping all baths, using bottled water, shortening shower times-- all reducing water usage from inside my house and instead watering my lawn, killing insects and keeping dirt, dust and dead grass debris out of the air?

Watering my lawn should be the least of my illegal activities.

Yes, after years of lawn maintenance people, years of me dragging ineffectual sprinklers over my lawn, only to have hundreds of dollars of fertilizer and grass seed blow away or fail to germinate because of poor watering, I decided to bite the bullet. In the next few weeks, we will have irrigation, landscaping and tree removal. We might have a decent lawn for the first time. Next year, I'll have to work on hiring the Mexicans for maintenance, as my gift to the hubby.
Then, as reverse psychology works, we'll probably rent out this house to some anti-gardeners and see it all go to shit.

4 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Our lawn is the worst on our street. I hate pesticides with a passion, hence the weed is growing out of control. But we do have in-ground sprinklers, and as long as Mike keeps the grass real short, our weedy lawn looks green-ish. Not too bad. Or so I tell myself, anyway...!
Good luck with the landscaping. I would love to see some ideas for what my lawn COULD look like. Will we see before and after pix?

Unknown said...

It has always been: Wife does interior, hubby does exterior- in all of our houses-- but recently the man has been spending too much time in the gym-not the yard and when he does go out there he hacks it all to pieces with no regard for Momma's roses.. so, I have to turn my eye to the exterior-- or maybe I just ran out of rooms to redecorate, that might be it.
Not planning huge overhaul- as the basis for the yard is good- original owner was a gardener.. but also a golfer, so we have a putting green... yeah, don't tell the men.
Think I will take some pics.

Victoria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victoria said...

I think our house is the only one on the block without an irrigation system, so our yard looks like crap! =) But given our equally lengthy NC drought, I've just about given up.

Looking forward to seeing your new and improved lawn!