Monday, April 21, 2008

More than anything else, I believe in myself.

That's pretty much a successful life in a nutshell, isn't it?

And a good way to share some excellent news that I have been sitting on for over a week.

I won a scholarship to a prestigious summer writers workshop in NY - I've been assigned to the amazing AMY HEMPEL for the small group work, and will be able to study with many of my other fav writers, like Matthew Klam, Melissa Bank, Meg Wolitzer, here's the whole list--

Alan Alda
Melissa Bank
Billy Collins
E.L. Doctorow
Christopher Durang
Jules Feiffer
Ursula Hegi
Amy Hempel
Kaylie Jones
Matthew Klam
Patricia Marx
Frank McCourt
Carol Muske-Dukes
Marsha Norman
Joyce Carol Oates
David Rakoff
Robert Reeves
Roger Rosenblatt
Garry Trudeau
Derek Walcott
Lou Ann Walker
Hilma Wolitzer
Meg Wolitzer

I KNOW. I am a very lucky girl.

In case you are not familiar with Amy's work:
The Collected Stories (2006) was one of the New York Times Ten Best Books of the Year and a finalist for the PEN-Faulkner Award. Hempel has received a Guggenheim Fellowship (2000), United States Artists Fellowship (2006), an Award for Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and an Ambassador Book Award (2007).

10 comments:

Family Adventure said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Linda. That is awesome news for you!

Heidi :)

painted maypole said...

jealous, jealous me. i am reading a frank mccourt book right now!

congratulations! can't wait to read all about it! :)

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

That is fantastic! I'll be looking forward to lots of blog posts about all your brushes with greatness.

They will be lucky to have you among them.

Victoria said...

What Painted said! Frank McCourt!

Congratulations on this new level of fabulousity! Looking forward to all the stories.

Churlita said...

Hey, that's great. I'm pretty sure she read here once, but I missed it. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Am I doing okay? said...

Big congrats! You go. I'm using your post title as my personal mantra.

Anonymous said...

As I told you in the email - you are NOT a lucky girl, you worked your ASS off for it. I'm super-dooper proud of you. Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

wow. My web family is more encouraging and excited for me than my real family. I am so lucky to have you. I promise to name only the BEST characters after you guys.

thank you- from the bottom of my heart, and a little from the left side too.

Karen MEG said...

Wow, that is amazing! What a feat, and what a fantastic opportunity!

Congratulations Linda!

Karen Putz said...

Ah, someday I want to get away and hang out with writers too! Enjoy!